About the British-American Project
The British-American Project (BAP) is a transatlantic membership organisation, with a fellowship of over 1,200 members. In the UK we are a company limited by guarantee (number 05992642). BAP is run by the UK Chair and Executive Committee, supported by the UK Project Director.
This privacy notice sets out how we handle personal information.
Why do we collect personal information?
BAP processes personal data of its current and potential members. In order to manage a membership network. BAP collects and stores securely contact details for all members ie names, addresses, email and telephone numbers. The grounds for processing data are contractual: we provide a membership service in response to those who have agreed to join and who pay their subscription, and we cannot provide that service unless individuals provide us with their personal data.
What personal information do we hold?
As we are a transatlantic network, set up to maintain and enrich the relationship between Britain and the US, we do transfer some personal data overseas. Contact information for UK Fellows is shared with the US Project Director and US Executive Committee of BAP and with US Fellows. Processing of the data in the US is managed securely and in line with the requirements set out in UK data protection legislation. Personal information is not routinely shared with any other organisation and the only circumstances under which we would share personal data with anyone who is a not a member of BAP would be if we had a legal or statutory obligation to do so. We retain personal data for as long as someone chooses to be a member of BAP.
What are your rights?
UK data protection legislation gives individuals rights in respect of the personal data we hold. These are:
- To be informed why, where and how we use your information.
- To ask for access to your information.
- To ask for your information to be corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- To ask for your information to be deleted or removed where there is no need for us to continue processing it.
- To ask us to restrict the use of your information.
- To ask us to copy or transfer your information from one IT system to another in a safe and secure way, without impacting the quality of the information.
- To object to how your information is used.
- To challenge any decisions made without human intervention (ie automated decision making)
If you have any questions about the data that BAP holds or wish to complain about our handling of personal data, please contact:
- UK Chair: email@example.com
- UK Project Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your complaint, you can write to the Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Chehsire, SK9 5AF or telephone 01625 545700.